The votes are in, and the Scout Elves have decided upon the best Elf on the Shelf ideas for 2017! From cute and clever to crafty and funny, these ideas are ones elves are most hoping to recreate in their families’ homes this year. Click each photo to get all the details, including links to available printables and helpful tools that you can keep on hand to help your elf as they make these scenes come to life in your home!
Click each picture for full instructions for your Scout Elf.
Scout Elf Gift Swap
- Mini presents (or gift boxes from Scout Elves at Play® Paper Crafts)
- Mini tree (or Christmas tree from Scout Elves at Play® Paper Crafts)
- Your elf will gather a collection of mini presents, or create their own using the Good Tidings Gift Box craft from Scout Elves at Play® Paper Crafts.
- Next, you elf will set the scene for their party by assembling a mini Christmas tree or creating their own using the Convertible Christmas Tree craft from Scout Elves at Play® Paper Crafts.
- Finally, the present trading will begin!
- Blue construction paper
- Purple construction paper
- Green construction paper
- White construction paper
- Fishing line
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Snowflake Swing
Up, up and away! Your Scout Elf will swing to new heights amid a magnificent “mountain range” cleverly crafted out of paper by:
- Cutting varying sizes of triangles from blue and purple construction paper to create a “mountain range.”
- Cutting clouds out of white construction paper.
- Using tape to attach the mountains and clouds to a wall to create a lovely outdoor setting.
- Creating small conical Christmas trees out of green construction paper. Helpful hint for elves: Create one cone by cutting a circle out of a construction paper, cutting a triangular wedge out of that piece of paper and taping the cut sides of the circle together. Stack the cones for taller trees.
- Setting up the trees around them.
- Attaching the Candy Cane Cable of the Snowflake Swing to fishing line and taping it to the ceiling, or attaching the Candy Cane Cable to a sturdy object.
- Climbing into the Snowflake Swing and soaring back and forth.
Holiday Hula Wear
To look like they’re having a tropical getaway in your home, your Scout Elf will:
- Put on their mini hula skirt and mini lei.
- Try to find a plant or warm spot to sit in your home.
- Have a hula holiday!
- Scout Elf Party Pack
To set the stage for a wonderful Christmas celebration, your Scout Elf will:
- Use the party supplies, games, accessories and elf-sized accessories from the Scout Elf Party Pack to set-up a party to celebrate the season!
- Make snacks for guests.
- Invite you to join the party!
Christmas Cuddle Buddy
- Present box
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Cheery Chair
You can never have too many friends or too many surprises! Using the Cheery Chair, this Scout Elf could get a better look at her friend the Elf Pets® Saint Bernard, by:
- Setting up the Cheery Chair next to a present box.
- Peeking inside to find the Elf Pets® Saint Bernard.
- Saying hello to the special North Pole pet!
- Wrapping paper
To start the season with a surprise, your Scout Elf will return to your home with a specially-wrapped gift to show you how much you mean to them! To show off their present—and wrapping skills, your elf will:
- Gather gift wrapping supplies.
- Wrap a special gift just for you.
- Leave some of the supplies out to show their hard work.
- Wait for you to find their perfectly wrapped present!
Scout Elf Superhero
- Fishing Line
- Claus Couture Collection® Scout Elf Superhero
Look in the sky! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s your Scout Elf! To create a heroic entrance, your elf will:
- Put on their mini superhero cape.
- Secure themselves to a sturdy object with fishing line to be able to hold the perfect flying pose.
- Swoop in for a totally super entrance!
- Polystyrene ball
- Red-and-white striped straw
- Yellow paper
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Christmas Climbing Boots
This is one giant leap for elf-kind! This enterprising Scout Elf is doing his best impression of an adventurous astronaut while wearing his Christmas Climbing Boots by:
- Setting up a polystyrene ball in a secure location.
- Taping a small paper sign to a red-and-white striped straw to create a fun sign post.
- Cutting stars out of yellow paper to create a starry backdrop.
- Putting on the Christmas Climbing boots and walking on the moon!
Oh What Fun!
- Mini presents
Here comes a sleigh—but it’s not Santa’s! Your Scout Elf will make Christmas come early by:
- Posing next to a sleigh with mini presents.
- Saying, “Merry Christmas to You!” with their special surprise.
Festive Friends & Fun Games
- Painter's tape
- Red marker
- Green marker
- Small party hats
- Toys or stuffed animals
Leave it up to your Scout Elf to create a game night everyone wants to be a part of! To get all their friends together, your elf created a tic-tac-toe night by:
- Crisscrossing four pieces of painter’s tape.
- Using red and green markers to mark marshmallows with X’s and O’s.
- Inviting all their friends—including the Elf Pets® Saint Bernard and the Elf Pets® Reindeer—to host a night of festive fun!
Scout Elf Spa Day
- Color printer
- Card stock
- Wash cloth
- Cucumber eye pad and rubber ducky printable
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Cheery Chair
Flying back and forth to the North Pole is a full-time job, and sometimes, even Scout Elves need to kick back and relax! To stage a Scout Elf Spa Day in your home, your elf will:
- Print and cut out cucumber eye pads, a rubber ducky and a spa backdrop from the Spa Day printable.
- Create a cozy headband out of a wash cloth.
- Fill a bowl with marshmallows to create a relaxing foot bath.
- Kick back and relax!
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Peppermint Grappling Hook, Candy Cane Cable
Your Scout Elf will make a clever play for some candy by:
- Arranging candy in a colorful pattern, so it looks tasty and is easy to grab.
- Tying Candy Cane Cable or string around their waist.
- Connecting the Peppermint Grappling Hook to the Candy Cane Cable on their waist so they are able to lower themselves down.
- Connecting Candy Cane Cable to the hole at the end of the Peppermint Grappling Hook and connecting it to a tall, sturdy surface.
- Sneaking in to grab some sweets!
Catch the Wind
- Kite and bows printable
- Color printer
- Glue dots
- Hole puncher
- Scout Elves at Play® Tools: Glacier Grips, Holiday Harness, Candy Cane Cable
This one’s a breeze! To make a festive kite to fly by the window, your Scout Elf will:
- Print and cut out kite and bows from the Catch the Wind printable.
- Use tape to attach a piece of Candy Cane Cable to the back of the kite that hangs down approximately 6 inches.
- Attach the bows to the tail of the kite using glue dots.
- Punch a hole in the top of the kite and hang it on a Glacier Grip.
- Get into position on the window by using the suction cup on the Holiday Harness and grabbing hold of the tail of the kite! Helpful hint for elves: The Holiday Harness and Glacier Grips work best on smooth surfaces, like mirrors, glass or tile!
Petite North Pole Treats
- North Pole Petite Treats stand
- Card stock
- Wooden craft sticks (optional)
- Print the North Pole Petite Treats stand on card stock, and cut it out.
- Make a slit on each side of the stand along the solid lines.
- Fold along each dotted line, starting with the top ﬂap.
- Fold the sides of the top ﬂap inward.
- Fold the sides of the front of the stand inward, and tape them to the top ﬂap’s folded sides.
- Use wooden craft sticks to make the stand sturdier, if needed.
- Pipe icing into mini cupcake liners and put sprinkles on top.
- Climb behind the stand to serve up scrumptious sweets!
The Scout Elves can never get enough sweet treats, so they decided to set up a stand in your home. To set up their Petite North Pole Treats stand, your Scout Elf will:
Before you or your elf get to work recreating any of these inspirational photos, be sure to read these safety warnings. Santa wants to make sure everyone stays safe!